Trisha’s Story

Well where do I start, this pregnancy took us by surprise. I did have some complications during the first and second trimester. But because I had four miscarriages after my last pregnancy, I was considered a high-risk patient. I had to change my OB doctor about 14 weeks into my pregnancy because they were not concerned that I started to have complications.

So I went to the new doctor and she made me start seeing a high-risk doctor. She was kind of mad because nobody had put me on Heparin. She said the reason I was having the miscarriages is that I was getting blood clots in my placenta. So, from then on I took the Heparin every day, and let me tell you, giving yourself shots every day sucks.

I had fetal echos every time I went to the high-risk doctor and they never saw anything wrong with Trisha. The day Trisha was born, I went for an NST (non-stress test) and she wasn’t moving a lot. So my doctor sent me to the hospital to be monitored. Because her heart rate kept dropping they NEEDED to take her.

So on September 23, at just 32 weeks pregnant, I delivered my baby girl Patricia Dawn Entry at 8:35 pm. She weighed only 3lbs 6oz and was 15″. Everything was great for the first 4 days, then our whole world changed. Before we left for the night to see the boys, the nurse said, “Hold on the Cardiologist needs to talk to you.”

At that point, Trisha was diagnosed with Coarctation of the Aorta, a PSD ASD & a VSD. She was flown down to Miami Children’s where, at 10 days old, she had her first OHS to close the 3 holes. That was the worst birthday of my life.

The next day, we left because I had a doctor’s appointment an hour and a half away from her, and it was the twins’ 8th Birthday, so we wanted to eat dinner with them. Before we headed all the way back to Okeechobee, I called to check in. The nurse told me to hold on because the doctor needed to talk to me (that is never a good sign–that’s what the nurse said on day 4 when we found out she had heart issues). He said the meds weren’t working so she needed another OHS. So, on 10/6/10, I left my baby’s life in the doctor’s hands AGAIN.

In this surgery, they opened the coarctation that was too small. When all was said and done, she was diagnosed with 7 different heart defects: a Coarctation of the Aorta (which is still on the small side but they are just watching it) ASD, 2 VSD, PDA, bilateral bicuspid valve, & a leaky valve.

We went from going minute by minute, to hour by hour, to day by day, to having all of my kids home together on November 1, 2010. Having a baby is supposed to be the happiest day of your life, but being a CHD Parent, the happiest day was the day Trisha came home.

From all the doctor’s appointments to the specialist, I wouldn’t change anything in the world. Now Trisha is a happy, spunky, rambunctious, sassy, spitfire 8-year-old. She still may be tiny, but she has a huge personality and the attitude to match. I love her to the moon and back, and I’m glad she is the way she is because I don’t think she would be as strong as she is now. I thank the Lord every day for what he has given me.


This baby girl right here is my TRUE HERO. Thank you to Dr. Redmond Burke–without you Patricia would not be here!!!! My heart is yours–words cannot explain the gratitude I have for you.

When I first learned about Healing Helpers and what it was about, I just knew I had to get Trisha one. She loves elephants and when I found an elephant I knew that would be her instant best friend. So I began the process of ordering her one. When it came in and I showed her  how it had a zipper and a broken/fixed heart like hers, the bond became a forever bond. I asked her what she was going to name him and she said, “Talk”. I asked her why she said that she thought it was a cool name. Mind you she was only 2 when she got him.

Talk has been through numerous surgeries and appointments with her. There’s not a single trip, whether it’s a family trip, a cheer, or even to school, that he doesn’t go with us. She absolutely freaks out if she goes to bed and he is not beside her.

We had to send him back to the hospital one time and that was the longest couple weeks of our lives because she was asking every day when he was coming back. Good thing she didn’t have any appointments.

I want to think Lani-lee and Michael for coming up with these Healing Helpers. Honestly, without something for her to go around with her I know that every surgery, or even simple appointments, would be horrible.

Share Your Story

Every story offers strength, inspiration, and relief to others.